Monday, November 30, 2009

My Aunt Winnie

This past week was a very sad week. My mother's sister, Aunt Winnie, lost her battle with cancer. She was diagnosed with lung cancer back in January. She had had some rough spots during chemo, but was doing better. About 2 days after my parents arrived here, she took a turn for the worse. She passed away on Wednesday.

My heart breaks for my mom and Aunt Winnie's Children. Aunt Winnie holds such a special place in my heart. She kind of became my "Grandmother" after her mother, my Grandma, died. She treated me like one of her own, except I think she spoiled me a little more :-) She taught me to make some of my grandma's recipes, hand stitched beautiful things for me, and was always there to listen when I called. I loved going to her house. She always had "treats" in the cupboard and always made sure you didn't leave hungry. She let my kids tear around her house, that was most definitely not child proofed. She didn't care. She let them bang on the piano and gave them candy she had hiding somewhere. The Christmas ornaments I just put on my tree are a reminder of how much she loved my kids. I am so sad that she is gone, but know she is in a much better place now. No more cancer and suffering. She is finally reunited with her parents and her husband, my Uncle Scott.

Aunt Winnie, thank you for always showing me unconditional love. This world is a little darker without you! You were such a ray of light to those around you. People loved and respected you. You were a true friend to so many. Even though my heart is breaking, I am celebrating the amazing Godly life you led. You were a wonderful example to us all and will be sorely missed!


Aunt Winnie with the kiddos in June before we left for France.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: